Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-in-Law Immediately


After the great reviews I was excited to read this book on my kindle. The beginning had some funny parts but after that I just wanted to get through it. Some of the stuff is common sense, some is going too far.

As a Magnificent MIL you are not supposed to smoke when you go to the DIL or SIL's house but if they're smokers and they come to your house, you're supposed to make sure and plan important things around their smoking schedule and you should set up a place outside for them to smoke if you don't want them smoking in the house. I'm not and have never been a smoker but my objection is that MIL's are supposed to bend over backwards to accomodate DILs or SILs but we should expect nothing in return?

The same goes for the chapter on Reading Minds. When the married children forgot one of the Magnificent MIL's birthday repeatedly she mailed them a postcard two weeks in advance to tell them to buy a funny birthday card for their mom. Then one week in advance she mailed them a note telling them to mail the card. Why? If they forgot my birthday I wouldn't want to have to do that much work to remind them! And then as a Magnificent MIL, you are supposed to make sure you do it right and mail them a gift or card so that it's there for their birthday.

A lot of the "advice" seems to me like it's written for someone who wants to be taken advantage of. There is some good advice but it's what I consider the common sense advice. Realize that your adult children will need to make their own holiday traditions and don't get upset when they don't revolve around you. I don't think reading this book is going to help you if you don't already know these things. It can give you a couple of ideas about other ways to do some things like holidays but if you think about it a little bit, I'm sure you can come up with some ideas on your own.

A lot of this seemed silly. If you just look at your DIL or SIL as a person that your child chose (which means they must have some redeeming qualities if you brought you child up right!) then surely you can respect them enough to treat them decently. As I learned from my parents: treat others as you would like to be treated. If they don't do the same in return, you bite your tongue because you love your child and grandchildren. Maybe I've just been lucky with the SILs that I have. I might change my mind when and if I ever get DILs. However, I was disappointed in this book and wouldn't recommend it to a friend.Get more detail about The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-in-Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment