Friday, June 11, 2010

Cheapest Shop Class as Soulcraft


The author asserts the value of manual labor and craftsmanship. He outlines the more intrinsic value of manual labor against the value of being a knowledge worker. The book relies heavily on the author's own experiences to prove his point. The author is brilliant and makes some great points and insights. My major problem with the book is that the author generalizes against all knowledge worker jobs based upon some really crappy jobs he's had in the past. My job is a database administrator and I work in a cubicle. For the most part, I like my job. I tune databases, write data loads and help people solve problems. I don't feel my job is sucking the life out of my soul so I had a hard time identifying with the author's arguments. His views on corporate culture seem too simplistic to me. Also, some of his observations are just plain strange. For example, his defense of dirty jokes is a little stretched.

In summary, I strongly recommend the book. Some the observations of the value of work are profound. He insights on what is wrong with society are worth thinking about. He quotes Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Pirsig's book is far better. Pirsig has an overlying philosophical basis to his views. This book seemed to be a hodgepodge of philosophies to support his thesis. However, it is worth reading.Get more detail about Shop Class as Soulcraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment