Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick Review


You don't have to be a fan of Molly Ringwald for Getting the Pretty Back book to appeal, but if you are a fan then you are in for a huge treat. What I loved about this book is that it is such a great mixture of personal stories, reflections, and the kind of advice you'd get from a really good girlfriend.

I'm not normally a fan of books that are entirely filled with artwork and lacking actual photos, but Ruben Toledo's artwork in this book is whimsical, stylish and charming all at the same time. The only part where I would have wished for a better diagram or a real photo, was the instructions for how to tie an Hermes scarf. However, as much as I wish I was a scarf person, I have never once been able to pull off the look (much less own an Hermes scarf), so this was less of a worry for me.

I enjoyed reading about Molly's youth, especially about the changes she made to her hair over the years. She reiterated some of the best advice my mom (a former hairdresser) ever gave me - don't cut your hair when you're upset. Molly says, "As tempting as it may be to radically shear yourself when a big and difficult moment arises in your life, many of the times you're left afterward still feeling bad - and almost bald."

Molly's advice on various topics is sprinkled throughout the book in special sections, including: Five Things to do (or not do) After a Breakup, The Five Biggest Mistakes Home Cooks Make, The Joys of Being Single, Date Places, Skin Care, Best Iconic Hairstyles in Film, Fashion Faux Pas That Work, and more.

I learned some new facts from the book (like Retin-A stimulates collagen production), other information was of the more common sense variety, and some were her personal preferences (like not wanting a holiday meal to be served buffet style).

A quick, light and entertaining read, Getting the Pretty Back will appeal to women who want to feel young and pretty while appreciating the experiences that come with age.Get more detail about Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment