Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Richest Man in Babylon


If you have ever had stale dollar store candy, you know that the fist piece is pretty good and then as you eat more the lack of substance and quality begins to collect on your pallet. If you continue to eat the inferior candy you eventually become sick of it. That is this book.

I found the first few chapters were readable - but then my pallet began to object and by the end I could ingest no more of this pointless prose. Where is the point? Save money and instantly you will become rich? Now I see why "Think and Grow Rich" is also a frequently purchased title by those who read this book. Perhaps it is just not my style of thinking. Maybe I just don't get it. If found it entirely pointless and a waste of time and money.

At first I thought the "revelation" that we would get as readers was the the richest man in Babylon would learn he was poor - but yet rich in good things that transcended gold and silver... no the case. Then I thought the author would tell us that the 10% rule was to give to God first - and that living from a perspective of giving and stewardship would be the key to authentic wealth... not happening. In desperation I kept reading on and on thinking "surely there will be a moral to the story that has some actual merit or meaning" NO! To the contrary - it appears that all you have to do is pay yourself - and cram all the rest of your creditors into the same little confined space so they can all wait their turn - and you will be RICH! What? If that is the case, why only 10% for me? Why not everything to me and the heck with everyone else in the world?

It is this sort of thinking that causes our young people to feel they must have an iPod in four different colors and a cell phone that can do eleven things at once. This "thinking" is a part of our society that takes us AWAY from being authentic to who were were created to be - children of God (not hoarders of stuff). It's NOT ABOUT YOU!

I purchased this book on Kindle and I must also say that aside from the quality of the message, the formatting was pathetic. The entire document was one long formatting run-on sentence. Having published to the Kindle Digital Platform myself - I can say from experience that about 20 minutes of formatting work before releasing this to the public would have been all it would take to at least make the text presentable - but then, nothing could fix the content itself. Wow!Get more detail about The Richest Man in Babylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment