Monday, September 27, 2010

Influencer : The Power to Change Anything Order Now


The authors offer truly groundbreaking insights and methods in this book, and I will cite a few, but the depth and breadth of their work is far too vast to encapsulate here. They note the plethora of unhelpful, anecdotal advice that often passes for wisdom in similar books, and instead provide scientifically documented, step-by-step methods for defining and achieving goals. They provide compelling examples of how these techniques have been implemented. The most fascinating story, in my opinion, involved the eradication of the guinea worm, an endemic parasite that can grow up to three feet long and emerges through the skin causing tremendous pain. The authors cited techniques employed by Carter Foundation workers to teach villagers how to filter their water and prevent reinfestation of water sources by infected persons. Carter Foundation workers sought positive deviants (villages who had learned their own ways of avoiding guinea worm infestation) to teach other villages what to do.

I noted many techniques that I myself had discovered by trial and error, such as perfect practice, which involves working on improving specific elements of a task; they cite basketball freethrowing, where perfect practice includes improving followthrough, elbow position, etc., as opposed to results oriented practice that can reinforce poor technique, e.g. shoot until I get 20 baskets. As a Chemistry teacher, I inherently implemented many of these techniques. This book provided me with more insight and concrete guidance than most of the teaching and education books I was provided in my teacher training.

This is one of the most enlightening books I have ever read on human behavior. Having borrowed this book from the library, I now plan to purchase it (the actual ink and paper version), because I know I will refer to it again and again.

Narrated by Eric Conger with dignity and clarity.Get more detail about Influencer : The Power to Change Anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment