Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks Review


I first saw Arthur Benjamin on TED and his performance was nothing short of amazing. I was very excited to see a book that explained his methods available on Amazon, so I bought it immediately. I was not disappointed at all to see some hackneyed algorithms repeated in the book. Despite being professionally involved with mathematics as part of my work, and collecting these sorts of math algorithms for ~5o years, there were quite a few I had not seen (or remembered). The book is written in a wonderfully entertaining way that makes it an excellent read; moreover it is easy to learn from. For me at least all of this was spoiled by a ridiculous redundant rant in the so called Chapter Infinity. Apparently M.S. cannot pass up any chance to promulgate his "religion" of skeptic. This final chapter does not belong in this book it is an entirely different subject and is not what I bought the book for. Unfortunately I bought the book in Kindle form so I do not have the option of cutting out the superfluous pages.Get more detail about Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment