Monday, August 2, 2010

Discount This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off


I am a person that has been "naturally" skinny my whole life. I fluctuated between a size 3 and a 7 for most of my adult life. After having 4 kids close together, my body seems to have taken a swing, and I cannot drop the 20 pounds that I put on with the last baby. I was excited for this book because she talks about hormones and how eating can change these levels, and help you to lose naturally. I think this might be my problem. I eat pretty good, and exercise okay, but I have not been able to lose the weight.

So, I downloaded the e version of this book (cheaper) and read it over the course of a couple days. I liked it. It was a good reminder of what I learned in the fourth grade.

Good: She basically outlines your 5 fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean meat, low fat cheese, no-little milk, and NO SUGAR. It is your food-guide pyramid minus the milk. I think she is right in sugar being a culprit. That part of the book was a really good reminder, as I love kids candy. She has the basic portion control, and the 3 meals, 2 snacks a day. I like her circuit training ideas at the back of the book.

Not my favorite: She mentions a lot of studies that she does not endnote or footnote. That bothers me. I like to check facts. She links cancer to non-organic food. We have a genetic history (tested and verified by doctors) of cancer in our family. It isn't as simple as she makes it sound. No variety in meals, and for certain things, she just lists a bunch of vegetables, basically ones that I already eat, and common ones in the grocery store, again, nothing that you haven't heard from elementary school. She lists all the hormones in the body, and the specifics, and doesn't really get into the food specifics, just lists things again, telling you more like a medical book than a to-do diet book. I don't like supplements. Sure, your basic vitamins etc., but I think milk is a good thing, not too much of it, but I don't want to do a calcium supplement instead. I am lactose intolerant, and have been told my whole life, find a way to get your calcium through food, not supplements, and add in the calcium supplements as you get older.

All in all, it was a fine book. It is a huge lifestyle change to follow everything she does, and if you have a family, it doesn't seem realistic. I will follow some of the ideas. Most of them I already knew, many ideas were unfounded, and I am surprised that they let her publish references tie ins, without the actual reference noted. That is sloppy.

This is not the diet bible that everyone makes it out to believe. I think body for life is better than this, and that also requires a lifestyle change.Get more detail about This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment